Passport Services - FAQs


  1. All handwritten passports with pasted photos earlier issued by Government of India are considered non-Machin Readable Passport (non-MRP). All 20-year validity passports will also fall in this category. The Government started issuing MRP passports since 2001. All new Indian passports are International Civil Aviation Organisation (ICAO)-compliant MRP passports. Foreign Governments may deny visa or entry to any person travelling with a non-MRP passport.
  2. Indian citizens residing in India and abroad and holding handwritten passports, should, therefore, apply for re-issue of passports and obtain MRP passports in order to avoid any inconvenience in obtaining foreign visa or immigration problem.


1) The online system does not accept names in initials/abbreviated forms such as SK SINGH, KNR NAIR, etc. Applicants are therefore required to give their full names. Also, do not prefix Mr., Mrs., Dr. Shri or Late to the name.

2) Date of birth should be mentioned in the form of DD/MM/YYYY

3) Signature and thumb impressions should be confined in the prescribed box. In case a child cannot sign, his/her thumb impression (left thumb in case of boy or right thumb in case of girl child) may be provided. A parent should sign the declaration/application on behalf of a minor child but not in the places (boxes) provided for applicant’s specimen signature/thumb impression.

4) All copies of supporting documents are to be self-attested by the applicant.


Q.No.1 What is the online portal for submission of passport application?


Q.No.2 Do I have to come to the Embassy in person to apply or can I send the application by post?

Ans. Yes, applicant has to come in person to submit the application alongwith all requisite documents at the Embassy in Moscow with prior appointment.

Q.No.3 What is a jumbo Passport?

Ans. Jumbo passport booklet contains 60 pages. Frequent travellers may apply for it. The fee for Jumbo passport is higher than the fee for regular passport

Q.No.4 How long does it take to issue a new passport?

Ans. Processing of passport application, printing in India and getting it back to Moscow may take up to 4-5 weeks. Please refrain from making enquiries during this period.

Q.No.5 Do I need to bring my original passport at the time of submission of application at the Embassy?

Ans. Yes.

Q.No. 6 How can I ensure that my Indian address is printed on my new passport?

Ans. Only one address gets printed on the passport. You should indicate your preference by check-marking (√) on the address which should be printed in your new passport. However, for making any change in the Indian address, valid original documentary proof alongwith self-attested copy would be required.

Q.No. 7 My passport is still valid. However, all pages of my passport are exhausted. What should I do? Can I have an additional booklet? How can I apply for the same?

Ans. If almost all pages in your passport have been utilized, you may apply for re-issue of passport for a validity of 10 years. You can apply for a normal Machine Readable Passport (MRP) booklet (36 pages) or a Jumbo MRP booklet (60 pages).

Q.No. 8 My passport is due to expire soon. How much in advance can I apply for renewal/re-issue?

Ans. Applications for reissue of passport can be submitted within one and a half years before date of expiry of the passport.

Q.No 9 I understand that after issue of new passport, my old passport will be cancelled. Does this mean that all valid visas on my old passport will also be cancelled?

Ans. Old passport is required to be cancelled at the time of issue of a new passport and is returned to the applicant along with the new passport. Visa, if any, on the old passport remains valid (but may vary from country to country). Applicant has to check regarding visa transfer from the concerned visa authority.

Q.No.10 I have a hand-written passport. Can I apply for a Machine-Readable Passport?

Ans. Yes. You may apply for reissue of passport on this ground.

Q.No. 11 Do I need to register the birth of my newly-born child in Russia? When can a new-born child be registered?

Ans. You need to register birth of your newly-born child at the Embassy /Consulate concerned immediately after birth and in any case within one year of the birth of the child. A birth certificate would be issued by the Embassy /Consulate concerned.

Q.No. 12 Can I apply for passport for a newly-born child at the time of birth registration?

Ans. Yes. A new passport application is required to be submitted along with the supporting documents. Both the parents alongwith the child are required to come to the Embassy. The application form is required to be signed by both the parents to confirm their no objection to the issue of passport, and thumb impression (left thumb in case of boy or right thumb in case of girl child) of the child is to be put in the specimen signature box.

Q.No. 13 I would like to change my Indian address in my passport. Will I have to pay extra charges for this? Can this change be reflected in my current passport?

Ans. You will have to apply for a fresh passport along with self-attested proof of the present address. Hand written corrections are not allowed in the passport.

Q.No.14 Would the renewal of my passport change my passport number?

Ans. Yes. A new passport booklet is issued with a new number.

Q.No.15 I do not have a birth certificate. Can it be possible to get my birth certificate from the Indian Embassy? If so, what documents do I need to produce?

Ans. On the basis of entries made in your Indian passport, a certificate regarding your date of birth/place of birth can be issued by the Embassy. You are required to submit a request letter and your Indian passport copy.

* * * * * * *